Wednesday, June 14, 2006

FBO: 'Applauds the Band that Refuses to Fail -- California's Slow Poisoner'



POISON (LABORIOUSLY ADMINISTERED) GARNERS HOPE

Andrew Goldfarb, aka Slow Poisoner, is a surrealistic one-man band from San Francisco. The band once had five people, then two, not just one. Songs include the post-911 tribute 'Days of the Soft Break' and a new one called 'Flaming Creatures (of Rock & Roll)' -- click here for the download, and other SP info. SP takes songs like these on the road to very unsual out-of-the-way venues. Not many San Franciscan musicians consider playing Lubbock for instance. Here's our virtual chat transcript.

The band size keeps falling. Why do you refuse to fail?
I also refuse to succeed. Eventually I hope to kick me out of the band too, but still perform, as a shadow of my former self, strumming an air guitar.

The FBO applauds your choice of playing shows at places like Lubbock and Wichita. Why do you play such out-of-the-way places?
Lubbock is the birthplace of the Legendary Stardust Cowboy (www.stardustcowboy.com). Reason enough! And Glen Campbell's "Wichita Lineman" is what's driving me to Kansas:


I am a lineman for the county
and I drive the main roads
searching in the sun for another overload
I hear you singing in the wire
and I can hear you through the whine
and the Wichita lineman is still on the line


Plus, there's a venue there called "Kirby's Beer Hall."

You mention on your website that all but three people hated you at one show in Georgia. Metal fans apparently. What did they say, and what did you say?
Our communication was non-verbal: they started square dancing ironically, and I responded by square dancing sincerely.

Thanks to SP.

FBO Admin
Mobile/Semi-Permanent HQ -- Brooklyn, New York

1 comment:

Trott said...

More Slow Poisoner interviews!